Black Friday 2020
November 15th, 2020
This year, make Black Friday Green with the tips and resources on this page.
GreenUP invites you to think about making more sustainable purchases this Black Friday and throughout the year.
Consumerism and manufacturing have considerable environmental impacts: emissions, excessive energy consumption, air pollution, and the inevitable end-of-life impacts that many products have in landfills.
Holiday gift-giving is about showing you care for your loved ones and friends. Making those gifts sustainable is part of showing how much you care.
We would like to offer you some tips about how to go green on Black Friday this year:
- Shop local and support local businesses – keep your money circulating in the local economy, supporting local business owners, makers, and artists that live in our community. If you prefer to shop online or do curbside pickup because of COVID-19, check out the local retailers who offer these services via TheBoro.ca
- Make a list and check it twice – avoid impulse buys and purchasing things you don’t need; stick to a pre-planned gift list. Remember that gift certificates to local retailers are a smart option also. You can buy gift certificates to the GreenUP Store & the Ecology Park Nursery here.
- Less is more – buy less and be thoughtful about your purchases. Consider gifts that are useful and not frivolous.
- DO stuff, don’t BUY stuff – consider an experiential gift instead of more “stuff” for your loved ones: museum passes, concert or theatre tickets, or art workshops can create memories to last a lifetime. The arts and entertainment sector has been hit hard because of the pandemic. Your support now shows how much you care and helps at a critical moment. Contact Peterborough & the Kawarthas Tourism if you need ideas – they are the experts on award-winning local experiences.
- Support green retailers – purchase goods from retailers who are walking the walk in terms of taking climate action and reducing their impact on the environment. Look for retailers that carry organic, reusable, sustainable, local, and renewable products. Look for retailers who are clearly telling you how they are reducing waste and making sustainable choices. Learn more about the difference between a linear economy and a circular economy (click here), and let that guide your purchase decisions. We’ve got some great green gift ideas for any budget via the GreenUP Store – click here!
- Give a donation on Giving Tuesday – Giving Tuesday is a global movement for giving to charity that takes place each year after Black Friday. December 1, 2020, is the opening day of the holiday giving season for charities like GreenUP. Consider offsetting your Black Friday purchases by donating to GreenUP (click here) and your other favourite charity. This year, more than ever, we need your support. Learn more here >
If you would like to help GreenUP Ecology Park flourish with a donation on Giving Tuesday.
Donations this holiday season will help us to revitalize our treasured Children’s Garden and will establish one of the region’s first naturalized playscapes on public parkland.
Through play, this new space will spark discovery, cultivate connection, and bring joy to thousands of children and their families for years to come.
Donate securely online here or in person at the GreenUP Store (378 Aylmer Street North in downtown Peterborough)
Check out the GreenUP Store for a guilt-free, green holiday season! Get our top tips for gifts & stocking stuffers on any budget by clicking here >
Located at 378 Aylmer Street north in downtown Peterborough, The GreenUP Store carries all you need for a green holiday:
- Local arts and crafts
- locally produced goods
- green cleaning products
- waste-free food storage
- reusable gift wrapping
- …and more!
Don’t forget your Downtown Ptbo shopping passport for a chance to win great prizes!
Posted in Uncategorized