Ecology Park Nursery opens for 2020 Season
June 17th, 2020
As of June 13, 2020, the GreenUP Ecology Park Native Plant and Tree Nursery is open to the public for the season. For more than a quarter of a century now the opening of Ecology Park’s Nursery has heralded the official start of the gardening season for hundreds of local gardeners.
“While it’s later than usual, we’re happy to be opening and grateful for everyone’s support,” says Vern Bastable, Manager of GreenUP Ecology Park. “All the emails and phone calls were really heart-warming. Our purpose at the Nursery has always been to offer native plants that benefit the community as a whole, so it feels natural that we would do that in a way that keeps our community healthy during this unusual time.”
Located in the heart of Peterborough at 1899 Ashburnham Drive, GreenUP Ecology Park Nursery will be open Thursdays from 10am to 6pm and Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays from 10am to 4pm. Through consultation with Peterborough Public Health, Ecology Park has taken measures to ensure the wellbeing, health, and safety of both customers and staff. Please view the most up-to-date version of these changes on the main Nursery webpage here.
Notable changes as of June 15, 2020: (Updates will be posted here.)
- Only pedestrian access is permitted. Please use parking at the south end of the Beavermead parking lot off Marsdale Drive.
- No compost, mulch, or wood chips are available. Patrons are encouraged to check the price list posted on the following webpage before planning a visit to ensure we have what you want: GreenUP.on.ca/ecology-park/nursery. Our team updates this list on Tuesday each week to remove sold-out items. Please understand the list may not always be entirely accurate. (Ecology Park is a welcoming home to urban wildlife, and they occasionally damage stock.)
- Individuals are asked to stay at home and not visit the Nursery if they or anyone they have been in close contact with have a respiratory illness, have travelled outside of Ontario in the past 14 days, or are displaying any symptoms of COVID-19.
- Patrons of the Nursery are asked to maintain physical distancing at all times (minimum 2 metres distance between individuals).
- Patrons of the Nursery are asked to consider wearing a mask to protect others.
- Entry to the Nursery will be limited. Patrons are asked to wait in line until directed by staff to enter the nursery.
- Patrons are asked to sanitize hands before entering the sales area. Hand sanitizer will be provided on site.
- Patrons are asked to go with the flow and follow the directional arrows through the Nursery space.
- Cashless payment is preferred.
- Loading service for heavy purchase will be provided. Patrons are asked to follow instructions provided by our staff and maintain physical distancing.
“We’ll be here all summer. There’s no rush,” observes Bastable. “If the Nursery is busy when you get here, slow down and perhaps enjoy a walk through the native tree arboretum, the demonstration gardens, and even along the Great Trail. We take pride in doing things well here. Our customers know that our Nursery offers hearty plants that are grown slowly and properly for our climate in Peterborough. When you’re at the Nursery, we encourage everyone to slow down, follow the signs, and do our part to take care of each other.”
As the situation with COVID-19 changes, patrons are asked to visit GreenUP.on.ca/Ecology-Park/ and follow @PtboGreenUP on social media for updates.
GreenUP is a non-profit charity. All proceeds from sales at the Ecology Park Nursery contribute to our local programs and resources.