Calendar Of Events
- This event has passed.
Make Black Friday Green
November 26, 2021
This year, make Black Friday Green with the tips and resources on this page.
GreenUP invites you to think about making more sustainable purchases this Black Friday and throughout the year.
Consumerism and manufacturing have considerable environmental impacts: emissions, excessive energy consumption, air pollution, and the inevitable end-of-life impacts that many products have in landfills.
Holiday gift-giving is about showing you care for your loved ones and friends. Making those gifts sustainable is part of showing how much you care.
We would like to offer you some tips about how to go green on Black Friday this year:
- Shop local and support local businesses – keep your money circulating in the local economy, supporting local business owners, makers, and artists that live in our community. If you prefer to shop online or do curbside pickup because of COVID-19, check out the local retailers who offer these services via TheBoro.ca
- Make a list and check it twice – avoid impulse buys and purchasing things you don’t need; stick to a pre-planned gift list. Remember that gift certificates to local retailers are a smart option also. You can buy gift certificates to the GreenUP Store & the Ecology Park Nursery here.
- Less is more – buy less and be thoughtful about your purchases. Consider gifts that are useful and not frivolous.
- DO stuff, don’t BUY stuff – consider an experiential gift instead of more “stuff” for your loved ones: museum passes, concert or theatre tickets, or art workshops can create memories to last a lifetime. The arts and entertainment sector has been hit hard because of the pandemic. Your support now shows how much you care and helps at a critical moment. Contact Peterborough & the Kawarthas Tourism if you need ideas – they are the experts on award-winning local experiences.
- Support green retailers – purchase goods from retailers who are walking the walk in terms of taking climate action and reducing their impact on the environment. Look for retailers that carry organic, reusable, sustainable, local, and renewable products. Look for retailers who are clearly telling you how they are reducing waste and making sustainable choices. Learn more about the difference between a linear economy and a circular economy (click here), and let that guide your purchase decisions. We’ve got some great green gift ideas for any budget via the GreenUP Store – click here!
- Give a donation on Giving Tuesday – Giving Tuesday is a global movement for giving to charity that takes place each year after Black Friday. November 30, 2021, is the opening day of the holiday giving season for charities like GreenUP. Consider offsetting your Black Friday purchases by donating to GreenUP (click here) and your other favourite charity. This year, more than ever, we need your support. Learn more here >