Go GREEN on Black Friday
November 21st, 2019
While Black Friday has become the official start of the holiday shopping season for many, GreenUP invites you to think about your purchases this Black Friday, and to consider their impact on the earth.
Consumerism and manufacturing have a considerable environmental impact: emissions, excessive energy consumption, air pollution, and the inevitable end-of-life space that products take up in landfills.
But, holiday shopping can be exciting! Purchasing gifts for loved ones on your list can be fun and guilt-free. We would like to offer you some tips about how to go green on Black Friday this year:
- Shop local and support local businesses – keep your money circulating in the local economy, supporting local business owners, makers, and artists that live in our community.
- Make a list and check it twice – avoid impulse buys and purchasing things you don’t need; stick to a pre-planned gift list.
- Less is more – buy less and be thoughtful about your purchases. Consider gifts that are useful and not frivolous.
- DO stuff, don’t BUY stuff – consider an experiential gift instead of more “stuff” for your loved ones: museum passes, concert or theatre tickets, or art workshops can create memories to last a lifetime.
- Support green retailers – purchase goods from retailers who carry organic, reusable, sustainable, local, and renewable products. Learn more about the difference between a linear economy and a circular economy (click here), and let that guide your purchase decisions. We’ve got some great green gift ideas for any budget via the GreenUP Store – click here!
- Give a donation on Giving Tuesday – Giving Tuesday is a global movement for giving to charity that takes place each year after Black Friday. Giving Tuesday is the opening day of the holiday giving season for charities like GreenUP. Consider offsetting your Black Friday purchases by donating to your favourite charity. Learn more here >
If you would like to help GreenUP Ecology Park flourish with a donation on Giving Tuesday, you can combine your donation with a gift certificate and share both with a loved – a gift that gives twice!
Donations this holiday season will help us improve the accessibility of our facilities at Ecology Park so that everyone can enjoy this urban sanctuary and our demonstrations of sustainable living.
Check out the GreenUP Store for a guilt-free, green holiday season! Get our top tips for gifts & stocking stuffers on any budget by clicking here >
Located at 378 Aylmer Street north in downtown Peterborough, The GreenUP Store carries all you need for a green holiday:
- Local arts and crafts
- locally produced goods
- green cleaning products
- waste-free food storage
- reusable gift wrapping
- …and more!
Don’t forget your Downtown Ptbo shopping passport for a chance to win great prizes!
Posted in Uncategorized