GreenUP Community Beekeeping Program
Goal: The mission of the GreenUP Community Beekeeping Program is to:
“Promote the awareness and appreciation of pollinators as a healthy part of our community, through beekeeping, education and advocacy.”
This year we will not be offering a membership-based program, but commit to community participation and education through our Open Hive events.
GreenUP will be stewarding 4 hives throughout 2019. Our experienced team of beekeepers will be “buzzing” about the hives at Lock 20 and Ecology Park. Check our calendar of events for opportunities to drop-in and learn about bees!
In 2015, the GreenUP Community Beekeeping Program was created in response to the critical decline of pollinators both locally and globally. The GCBP is a project of GreenUP, also referred to as B’s Bees, in recognition of the donor who generously supported the start up of this initiative. The project has developed over the past 5 years through co-funding of participants and sponsorships within our community.
Priorities for the GreenUP Community Beekeeping Program (GCBP)
- Sustainability – GCBP endeavours to develop and maintain beekeeping activities in a sustainable manner. The capacity of the program’s workshops, events and stewardship initiatives will be dependent upon community involvement and commitment throughout the season. Sustainability may change from season to season.
- Accessibility – GCBP welcomes members of our community from a wide demographic of abilities, backgrounds and experiences. Program activities will be accessible to people in the community without the need to own beekeeping equipment, land or a vehicle.
- Community – The program will focus on ‘building a hive’ community, through sharing the beekeeping experience and the celebration of bees in our immediate environment. GCBP supports community\ group stewardship of bees and other pollinators, instead of facilitating individualized beekeeping support.
- Education- The GCBP supports hands–on, experiential approach to learning about native bees and honeybees in our local environment with people of all ages and abilities.
- Advocacy– The GCBP advocates for a healthy, vibrant community which supports abundant, pesticide-free pollinator forage and habitat. GCBP is a voice for safe and sustainable urban beekeeping in the Peterborough area.
Join us for Open Hive events to explore the wonders of beekeeping. Volunteer beekeepers will share their skills and stories as we open the hives for you to enjoy the unique experience of beekeeping.
In 2019, we will be hosting two Open Hive events:
Thursday August 22nd, 6:30pm – 8:00pm
Saturday September 7th, 10:00am – 11:30am
The cost is $15/adult, and $5/child under 12. Maximum 20 participants per event. Registration is required.
Meet Our Lead Volunteer Beekeeper:
Fascinated by the design and workings of natural ecosystems, Quentin Day has been actively involved in stewarding natural resources for over 35 thirty years. After graduating from the University of New Brunswick with a Bachelor of Science in Forestry Degree, he and his wife Beth moved to Ontario where he worked for the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources for 33 years. He is the founder and Coordinator of “Calvary Church Community Garden – your growing space.” Quentin has been involved with the GreenUP’s Community Bee Keeping Program since 2015.
Please refer to the GreenUP Calendar of Events for the next Open Hive! event or click on the Related Events, below.
Program Contact Information
Name: Vern Bastable
Position: Manager, GreenUP Ecology Park
Phone: 705-745-3238 ext:217