GreenUP Community Beekeeping Program
Goal: The mission of the GreenUP Community Beekeeping Program is to:
“Promote the awareness and appreciation of pollinators as a healthy part of our community, through beekeeping, education and advocacy.”
This year we will not be offering a membership-based program, but commit to community participation and education through our Open Hive events.
In 2015, the GreenUP Community Beekeeping Program was created in response to the critical decline of pollinators both locally and globally. The GCBP is a project of GreenUP, also referred to as B’s Bees, in recognition of the donor who generously supported the start up of this initiative. The project has developed over the past 5 years through co-funding of participants and sponsorships within our community.
Priorities for the GreenUP Community Beekeeping Program (GCBP)
- Sustainability – GCBP endeavours to develop and maintain beekeeping activities in a sustainable manner. The capacity of the program’s workshops, events and stewardship initiatives will be dependent upon community involvement and commitment throughout the season. Sustainability may change from season to season.
- Accessibility – GCBP welcomes members of our community from a wide demographic of abilities, backgrounds and experiences. Program activities will be accessible to people in the community without the need to own beekeeping equipment, land or a vehicle.
- Community – The program will focus on ‘building a hive’ community, through sharing the beekeeping experience and the celebration of bees in our immediate environment. GCBP supports community\ group stewardship of bees and other pollinators, instead of facilitating individualized beekeeping support.
- Education- The GCBP supports hands–on, experiential approach to learning about native bees and honeybees in our local environment with people of all ages and abilities.
- Advocacy– The GCBP advocates for a healthy, vibrant community which supports abundant, pesticide-free pollinator forage and habitat. GCBP is a voice for safe and sustainable urban beekeeping in the Peterborough area.
Please refer to the GreenUP Calendar of Events for the next Open Hive! event or click on the Related Events, below.
Program Contact Information
Name: Vern Bastable
Position: Manager, GreenUP Ecology Park
Phone: 705-745-3238 ext:217