Shifting Gears Challenge and Workshops
Track your progress towards your active and enviro-friendly transportation goals this spring! With the Shifting Gears Challenge, each week you will record your progress in the Shifting Gears Trip Tracker. Then, we will send you your very own impact report and enter you into the weekly draw. Here is how it works:
Friday – You’ll receive a reminder email with a link to the Trip Tracker.
Monday at noon – You must enter the previous week’s trips by the Monday at noon deadline.
Wednesday – You’ll receive your impact report and news of weekly winners!
Friday – It all starts again, with another chance to win!
If you want a place to record your daily trips so that you are super prepared to enter your trips at the end of the week, here is a printable daily tracking calendar!
As the month rolls along, Shifting Gears will be working with local partners to bring you some virtual workshops and event. Stay tuned to the weekly e-newsletters for more news on how to take part!
Rack & Roll for Bike Commuters
Shifting Gears is offering Rack & Roll to provide bicycle commuters* the equipment and information they need to make their bike more practical for day-to-day use, whether travelling to school, work, or errands. Participants will be offered a rear bike rack and single pannier (a.k.a. bike bag) free of charge. Each participant will schedule a one-on-one appointment (in-person or online) with a mechanic from B!KE to:
- Install the new equipment;
- Identify mechanical or other issues on the bike that may need addressing;
- Answer any questions the participant may have about riding;
- Come up with a set of personalized recommendations for a safer, more comfortable, and more enjoyable commuter cycling experience; and
- Grab a quick photo and quote, if possible.
*In 2021, we will offer this program primarily to people in our community who are new to bike commuting or those looking to use their bikes for more of their essential trips this spring. 40 spots are available.
Work from Home Guides and Resources
There are many factors that contribute to whether you are productive, effective, and content working from home. These factors include your personality, your home environment, and your workplace policies and practices, especially regarding communication.
We have put together a couple of guides to help you get the most from your work from home experience. Let us know if you have any suggestions!
Other Online Resources
Tips from the Pros
- CanWaCH provides a fantastic collection of resources, complete with helpful webinar.
- Charity Village shares tips on managing your day from a home office.
- SafetyWing shows you how to navigate key issues with working remotely
- Share the Road provides insights from over 45 years worth of remote working experience.
Setting up your Work Area
- Entrac provides a Practical Guide to Ergonomics and Temporary Work From Home.
- Desjardins Insurance suggests how to set up your space for success. Note: This article has a helpful list of things to consider, but the follow through may be difficult in our current circumstances.